With the special exhibition “WirtschaftsWunderWagen” displayed cars of the West German economic miracle in the 1950s.
From the vehicles of the early post-war years to the scooters and microcars to the dream cars of the 1950s. In hardly any other decade, the car in Germany played such an important role like in the period of the economic miracle. It is a key to a time full of economic, political, social and cultural change.
The West German economic miracle
The currency reform in 1948 was the initial spark. The German policy of rapprochement to the West and subsequently a rapid economic growth in the 1950s ensured that the living conditions improved for broad levels of the population.
In the 1950s, the streets were rapidly filled with life. Initially, people drove mainly two-wheelers and some pre-war cars. Soon they were accompanied by small cars, microcars and real dream cars…
STEVE MCQUEEN. THE LAST MILE.
Exhibition with photographs by Barbara McQueen.
The cars on display
- 1935 Goliath F400
- 1946 VW Plattenwagen
- 1952 IFA Motorfahrrad
- 1953 Hoffmann Vespa 125
- 1953 Lloyd Lt 500
- 1953 NSU Max
- 1954 Goggo-Roller 200/2 with Royal sidecar
- 1954 Kleinschnittger F 125
- 1956 Heinkel Kabine 150
- 1956 VW T1 Samba „Radio Bus“
- 1956 VW Käfer with Fahti Junior 400 camper
- 1957 BMW „Tropen-Isetta“ convertible
- 1957 Brütsch Mopetta
- 1958 Zündapp Janus 250
- 1959 FMR TG 500 „Tiger“
- 1960 Mercedes-Benz 300 d „Adenauer“ (W 189)
- 1960 Opel Rekord P1 CarAVan
- 1961 Borgward Isabella TS Coupé Cabriolet
- 1961 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Roadster (W 198 II)